Saturday, February 28, 2009

Feelings

As I have been trying to get my usual household chores done around the house this morning, and to motivate my children to go outside and be active, I have been thinking a lot about feelings.
What triggers certain feelings within us.
I heard something a while back which I really believed was true.  Music is an important thing for us to have in our lives.  Not only is music enjoyable to listen to, dance to, get a little bit funky to!  But it also brings back feelings and emotions within us.  It can take you back to a time when you heard it, and bring back memories as to what you were doing and how you were feeling.
I grew up with music practically every day of my life.  We had a television when I was little, but it was a real treat I think to be able to watch tv, I never remember it controlling our time.
But my mother always had music on.  I have very fond memories of my mother playing, very loudly, The Beatles, Cliff Richard, and one of her very favs Gerry and the Pacemakers, whilst vaccuming.  I remember being told not to run in the house at Raymond Terrace because the needle on the record player would jump because the house had timber floors.
Christmas time is a favourite time of year for my mother, not only for the family celebrations, because she can blast her favourite Christmas tunes out loudly.
There is one song that I don't know the name of, and I would love to find out so I could put it on my ipod because it was one my mother played all the time, and I heard it once on the radio and it made me feel so good just to hear it.
Likewise songs can bring a sadness.  I picked a song to play at my Dad's funeral when the picture images were being shown, a beautiful version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow".  We also played Creadance Clearwater Revivals song "the Rain".  Sometimes when they songs come on my ipod I just have to skip passed them, because its just not the feeling I need at that time.  Other times it makes me think of times with my father, and these days I try and make sure that I remember the good times more than the bad.
Places I believe can have the same effect as music.
I haven't had a very good week this week, lots of tears flowing.  Extremely sleep deprived as I have had late nights, and many night time interuptions from three of my children.  That is not a good recipe for a happy mother.
Finally Friday comes around and I really didn't feel like loading my car with craft gear and heading into Nambour and trying to make my brain function and be creative.  But I did load my car and head into Daisy Chain, with the thought that I would just go and chat with my friends and have a bit of 'time out'.  I thought to myself that I really didn't want to drag my unhappy state of mind going to see my friends, and put my burdens onto them.
I walked through the doors, and it was as though I had left all of those stresses and worries at home.  I didn't bring them with me.  I felt such a relief and felt so much happier in myself.
And for the first time in a long time, I started a layout, without having to look through numerous books and copy someone else's creativity.
I had thrown in my case at the last minute, a piece of cardstock that I had purchased many years ago at a retreat, and had not looked at it since.  I felt like I didn't have to work hard at all to create a lovely layout of my little girl.  It just needs a couple of finishing touches and I will post it on my blog.
I don't know what I would do without my friends at Daisys.  They are my carrot dangling in front of my eyes, urging me to get through the week, because by Friday the week will be over and I will get some "me" time.
So off with the tv and on with the stereo.  Blast that music and creative some good feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and read my posts. I love reading your comments.