Friday, March 20, 2009

Harmony Day

Today our children recognised Harmony Day.  Orange is the chosen colour for Harmony Day and the kids could buy an orange ribbon.  Last year the children could dress up in orange if they wanted to for a gold coin donation.  The ribbon is a much better idea, because if you don't have anything orange in your wardrobe, you have to go and get something, well you don't have to, but the kids like to join in.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to listen all of the school assembly, because my youngest boy had found a couple of his friends and was pushing the boundaries as to how far he could go, so I kept having to go and tell him to come back and be quiet.  He was terribly behaved, just enough to break my concentration.  My daughter is the one that makes more noise when she squeals with delight.
We missed all of the prayer service and just got back in time for the "Amen".
So I didn't really get much information about what the children had been learning about.  There was some talk of the bush fire and flood victims.  
The children have organised for a garden of rememberance and all of the primary students had decorated their own wooden spoon and would be putting them in the garden.  Each class seemed to have some kind of wrapped gift, but unfortunately I didn't get to hear what that was about or who they were for, so I will have to ask the boys when they get home.
I feel like some days are really hard work for me and I get quite emotional sometimes, particularly the more hours that Geoff works, the more it seems to have an impact on myself, and the children too.
But then you just need to turn your mind to the men, women and  children of this world who are truly suffering.  Bush fires, floods, cancer, mental illness, poverty, disease...and the list could go on and on.
So really I should count my blessings and direct my energy towards people that need it more than I do.  It was pleasing to see Australians support the victims of the bushfires and floods, in a time when families really don't have any spare cash and need every penny they can get to pay their bills and put food on the table.
There really is always someone that is worse off.
Happy Harmony Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and read my posts. I love reading your comments.